Scott Peterson sent mistress Amber Frey letters from jail


Updated Oct. 6, 2004, 10:30 a.m. ET


(Court TV) Scott Peterson continued his attempts to woo mistress Amber Frey even after he was arrested for the murders of his wife, Laci, and the couple's unborn son.

According to a police report obtained exclusively by Court TV's Catherine Crier, jailbird Scott Peterson sent Frey a two-page handwritten letter proclaiming his innocence and extolling spiritual values.

"Scott believed that he would be exonerated for these charges, and that while he was in custody he would be using his position ... to do the work of the Lord," Modesto police detective Jon Buehler wrote in a summary report of the letters. "He thanked Amber for her influence with this, and apologized to Amber for having been caught up in the intense media coverage."

The letter was dated April 25, 2003, just one week after Peterson was booked for double murder on April 18, 2003.

"Scott further wrote that May 4 was Laci's birth date, and that he was asking friends to fly a kite in her memory. He ended this letter by stating words to the effect that children are miracles and gifts," Buehler wrote in his report.

Frey gave police a copy of the letter along with two other e-mails from Peterson during a meeting with Buehler and Stanislaus County Deputy District Attorney Dave Harris on June 6, 2003.

The first e-mail from April 3 briefly recounted Peterson's afternoon "flying a kite with his two nephews," Buehler wrote.

Peterson sent the second e-mail on April 8, about one week before the bodies of Peterson's wife and unborn son were discovered on the San Francisco Bay shore.

"It explains Scott was helping to rebuild a deck at a home for battered women and noticed that an approximate 22 year old young man was staring at him," Buehler wrote. "It was Scott's claim that he had tutored this young man as a child at St. Vincent de Paul Center for Homeless Children when he was in high school."

Peterson began seeing Frey about a month before his wife disappeared on Dec. 24, 2002. Frey began cooperating with police in early January 2003 and tape-recorded numerous phone calls with him.

Peterson, 31, could face the death penalty if convicted of both murders. His defense is expected to begin its case next week.