[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
SII Chat Room • View topic - Appropriate cases for the death penalty

Appropriate cases for the death penalty

Appropriate cases for the death penalty

Postby marlene on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:55 pm

If there is solid evidence the correct person has been identified, which there appears to be, given the horror of the event and the way he had his apartment booby-trapped, this to me is without question appropriate for the death penalty. This is mass murder. Intentional, pre-meditated mass murder.

I'm not posting this for the intent of discussing the shooting and what evidence there is against this guy, but just to use it as an example of what to me is a no-brainer DP case.
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Re: Appropriate cases for the death penalty

Postby Lsmith510 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:45 am

Steven Hayes and Joshua Kamisarjevsky.......the men that raped and murdered the wife and daughters of Dr. William Petit and left Dr. Petit for dead - no brainer death penalty case, in my opinion.
Lsmith510

Postby jane on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am

I would have had no problem at all sentencing Richard Speck to death.

He systematically tortured, raped, and murdered eight student nurses from South Chicago Community Hospital on July 14, 1966.

However, his death sentence was reversed :

On June 28, 1971, the U.S. Supreme Court (citing their June 3, 1968 decision in Witherspoon v. Illinois) upheld Speck's conviction but reversed his death sentence, because more than 250 potential jurors were unconstitutionally excluded from his jury because of their conscientious or religious scruples against capital punishment.[4][35] The case was remanded back to the Illinois Supreme Court for re-sentencing.

On November 21, 1972, in Peoria, Judge Richard Fitzgerald re-sentenced Speck from 400 to 1,200 years in prison (8 consecutive sentences of 50 to 150 years).[36] He was denied parole in seven minutes at his first parole hearing on September 15, 1976, and at six subsequent hearings in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 1987, and 1990.[37]
jane

Postby Lsmith510 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 pm

jane wrote:I would have had no problem at all sentencing Richard Speck to death.

He systematically tortured, raped, and murdered eight student nurses from South Chicago Community Hospital on July 14, 1966.

However, his death sentence was reversed :

On June 28, 1971, the U.S. Supreme Court (citing their June 3, 1968 decision in Witherspoon v. Illinois) upheld Speck's conviction but reversed his death sentence, because more than 250 potential jurors were unconstitutionally excluded from his jury because of their conscientious or religious scruples against capital punishment.[4][35] The case was remanded back to the Illinois Supreme Court for re-sentencing.

On November 21, 1972, in Peoria, Judge Richard Fitzgerald re-sentenced Speck from 400 to 1,200 years in prison (8 consecutive sentences of 50 to 150 years).[36] He was denied parole in seven minutes at his first parole hearing on September 15, 1976, and at six subsequent hearings in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 1987, and 1990.[37]

Seven minutes :D Nice!
Lsmith510

Postby Kyle on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:44 pm

I have no problem with any of the views here. Those you have named would surely be qualified for such a fate. It is my opinion that a sentence of life without parole in solitary confinement to think about what they have done would be just. I wouldn't be concerned about their 'mental' state under such a sentence. I think the death penalty is an easy out.
Kyle

Return to Death Penalty Issues