[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
SII Chat Room • View topic - Scott is Innocent

Scott is Innocent

Please briefly state the reason(s) you think Scott is guilty or innocent, or if you are still on the fence. Other members, DO NOT badger or demean anyone's position on this case. All opinions are valued here. There is plenty of opportunity on the other threads to discuss various opinions and argue against them -- JUST NOT HERE!
Forum rules
No swearing, profanity, or obscene language. If you can't stand to be told you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable, then this is not the place for you because it's absolutley certain that someone is going to think you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable. No one is sacrosanct -- however, harrassing other members will not be tolerated.

Scott is Innocent

Postby marlene on Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Those of you who think he is innocent, make your case.

You are NOT required to stick with what the Defense presented at trial. If you have an alternate theory, that's fine.

I repeat: NO ONE IS REQUIRED TO STICK TO WHAT WAS PRESENTED AT TRIAL! Not in THIS forum!

If you think I'm yelling, IT'S BECAUSE I AM!

:mrgreen:
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Innocent

Postby newcreation on Sun May 17, 2009 5:45 pm

I believe Scott is innocent.

When the case first broke, and Amber Frey came forward, while I didn't know much about the case or have an opinion on Scott's guilt or innocence, I knew the police would target Scott.

Once Laci and Connor's bodies were discovered in the Bay, I experienced my first red flag: why would anyone kill his wife, dispose of the body in the Bay, then tell the police he was there? Obviously, if a man dumped the body somewhere, presuming he doesn't want to get caught, he is going to tell the police he was somewhere else.

I could go on and on about all the reasons why I think Scott is innocent, and end up with a post a mile long. However, I'll try to give a succinct list of the most compelling reasons for me:

• the twine around Connor's neck tied in a bow, indicating post-birth handling

• Scott's behavior regarding Laci's pregnancy (trying for a baby, building the nursery, attending every doctor appointment)

• Lack of any type of trace evidence in the home or at any of the alleged crime scenes, including no lack of a clean-up, despite the fact that police investigated this very quickly after Laci went missing. To me, this is the most compelling argument that Scott is innocent. I watch a lot of forensic files, and in this day and age, it is very difficult to cover up a murder, especially if the police know the crime scene and the suspect.

Well, if I keep going, it won't be succinct anymore ;) , but these are the most compelling arguments IMO. 8-)
newcreation

Re: Scott is Innocent

Postby Lsmith510 on Mon May 18, 2009 10:05 am

Hi NC! It's great to see you again! Great list!

Everyone already knows this but for the record I'll state it: I believe in Scott's innocence 100%.

The lack of a thorough investigation into anyone other than Scott is a biggie for me also. Grogan's comment during the trial that Laci sightings were not a "priority" says it all for me. Interviewing witnesses who claimed to have seen Laci walking - after her body had been found and after Scott had been arrested and his trial had started - screams cover your butt.

Some other "incompetent" moves by the MPD:

Brocchini excising information from reports that conflicted with their theory.
Broccini keeping dog trailing scent articles and Laci's hairbrush in his desk drawer.
The shoddy investigation of the Medina burglary.
The improper hypnosis of witnesses whose testimony could have been exonerating for Scott.
Failure to investigate (or as some believe the cover up of) the Aponte tip.
Failure to validate Karen Servas' timeline.
Lsmith510

Postby Abby on Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Yes. Scott is not guilty of the crime for which he now sits on death row. Not guilty as a fact.
Abby

Postby TxGirl461 on Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 pm

I believe he's innocent, because of the same reasons in the previous posts... no reason to repeat them, since I agree.
I followed the case almost from the beginning and it was amazing to me that they seemed to center on Scott the first night and never looked at anyone else. I hope one day to see him cleared and exonerated.
TxGirl461

Postby JackIsBack on Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 am

Scott is 100% innocent.

I agree with everything said above and would like to add one item to the list.

The prosecutor's story or theory is NOT evidence... but at the trial they told a story and then in the closing arguments, that story or items in that story were treated as if they had evidence backing them up and were facts. One item was the anchors... there was absolutely no evidence that Scott made any more then 1 anchor, never mind 5. The four other anchors were never found... the one anchor that Scott said he made was never made in the container that the prosectors said it was (or so they told in their story). Also... their story doesn't even passed the test of reasonableness, how long would it take someone to make 5 anchors using one container, they'd have to wait for the cement to set up after each anchor was made, and would also have to mix up 5 separate batches of cement because left over cement between anchors would also set up and become useless. A more probable story would have been that Scott purchased 5 Home Depot buckets for $1 each and made all the anchors at once... but I guess there was not enough evidence to make that story up (and fit).
JackIsBack

Postby jane on Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 am

I believe that Scott is completely innocent. I was disgusted by the dishonesty involved in his wrongful conviction on the part of the media, the police, and the prosecution; and I will do everything that I can to see that this conviction is overturned.
jane

Postby LAVJACK on Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Prosecution presented no evidence of his guilt, even their "circumstantial evidence" is nothing but a few selective facts rearranged to fit their theory.
Facts like " the bodies washed up where he went fishing" can go either way, as a proof of set up or as a proof of guilt. The truth is, LE treated Scott as a prime suspect from the start and explained everything from that angle only.
Dr March's testimony is what I think is the most convincing of his innocence. And the most misunderstood.

(And hello to all!)
LAVJACK

Scott is not guilty

Postby S Lyster on Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

I think he is not guilty according to law.

Some here will remember my posts in another forum, and the discussions on whether or not Scott is more than simply "not guilty according to law" but also factually innocent. I waver back and forth on that latter issue, I tend to believe the last person who posted on the subject! :oops:

But the one thing that is for sure is that Scott is not guilty according to law. The prosecution all-but admitted it in summation when they said, "I can't tell you how he did it, I can't even tell you when he did it.... but I am certain he did it." That's where the prosecution lost me.

As much as people are in a hurry to hate Scott for infidelities, or for telling Amber Frey he was in Paris on New Year's Eve (while at a Laci-vigil in California!), or for alleged lies he told, or for his laisser-faire demeanor at trial including his blank face even when sentenced...

The case stands or falls on the prosecution first demonstrating that a homicide, in fact, took place. Birgit Fladager, one of the prosecutors, talks about circumstantial cases sometimes being more powerful cases than those where there is direct physical evidence. She also talks about how fortuitous it was to have Det. Grogan testify near the end of the prosecution phase, because he gave the needed overview which tied together all the tidbits of circumstance presented before. She basically said that the circumstantial stuff in total was so overwhelming that no other reasonable hypothesis concerning Laci Peterson's death was possible.... it simply had to have been Scott, and it had to have been a homicide. For her, there's no other explanation.

Yet I go back to - where is there even one iota of evidence that this was a homocide? I mean, giving Fladager the benefit of the doubt for a moment that Scott was somehow involved, could this not have been an accidental death that Scott was trying to cover up? Could Laci have fallen in the pool and drowned (as Laci said to Karen Servas had almost happened some days before due to dizziness)? Could Scott then have panicked? At most, then, Scott would have been guilty of something like manslaughter, or failing to report a death... you get the drift - where's the evidence that this was even 1st degree murder?

I'm also taken by the evidence that there is neither cadaver scent at 7 alleged crime scenes investigated by the MPD, nor any evidence of a cleanup. At the very least there should have been evidence of the latter at just one of the scenes if Scott was involved. At best the MPD says that Scott seemed too quick to make "an excuse" for the mop being out, saying that Laci had used it on Dec 24 in the morning, or that he had straightened a mat at the door with his toe that evening in the presence of detectives. A crumbled mat, say the prosecution, is evidence that Scott had dragged Laci's body out through that door. Is it? If those were the only two things Scott forgot to do to cover the crime, it is only reasonable to assume there'd be other things he had no opportunity to cover. Which is he - a careful or sloppy cleaner?

All in all this is fairly shakey stuff on which to send a man to death row, all because of a larger and allegedly overwhelming circumstantial case that points to him and him alone. For me, the evidence diverges, rather than converges. I just may be one of those people who don't "get it", when people like Fladager talk about "waiting patiently for the overwhleming circumstantial case to sink in." I have also met plenty of people whose emotional reaction to stressful events is exactly as Scott's was - they seem detached and (on the surface) uncaring, or something less than desparate.

One thinks of Australian Lindy Chamberlain, who was said to be "rather detached" at trial when she claimed that dingos had dragged off her daughter in 1980, and that that had influenced the conviction. She was later proven innocent (as opposed to simply not guilty), released and pardoned. Thank God they don't have the death penalty in Australia!

While most people probably do react to these horrible events the way Sharon Rocha did (I probably would), there are others who don't.

In a sense, then, what I believe the prosecution achieved at trial was to demonstrate that of all the ways Scott might have committed homicide, the things shown at trial demonstrate he neither did nor could have done it that way, nor that it was even necessarily a homicide.

For those who need to hear a character assessment to hang the guy, he's still a bounder. But being a bounder does not make one a murderer, apart from some other evidence that he committed homicide.

I also have no evidence to support what I'm about to say, but since when did that stop anyone who considers Scott guilty? I believe that the reason why the Rocha's dropped the civil case in 2009 was because they were afraid that he'd be found not liable for wrongful death. Unlike the O.J. trials (!), that would have put the California legal system into disrepute - enough evidence to convict beyond a reasonable doubt, but not enough to find liable on the balance of probabilities? That would be something to see.

Postby marlene on Wed May 20, 2009 4:52 pm

S Lyster, regarding Fladager's comment that it just takes time for the circumstantial evidence to sink in, I don't think what's what the founding fathers had in mind. I think they had in mind that guilt is much more obvious than that.

Lavjack, someone certainly had opportunity to frame Scott. The MPD made it known on Dec 31 that Scott was fishing at the Berkeley Marina. The burglars weren't ratted on till Jan 2, so that gave them time to get rid of the bodies. So even insisting the bodies washed ashore does not eliminate the burglars (or their associates).

Diane Jackson saw 3 men, but only 2 men were arrested for the burglary.
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Next

Return to Go on the Record: Is he guilty or innocent?