[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
SII Chat Room • View topic - Scott is Innocent

Scott is Innocent

Please briefly state the reason(s) you think Scott is guilty or innocent, or if you are still on the fence. Other members, DO NOT badger or demean anyone's position on this case. All opinions are valued here. There is plenty of opportunity on the other threads to discuss various opinions and argue against them -- JUST NOT HERE!
Forum rules
No swearing, profanity, or obscene language. If you can't stand to be told you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable, then this is not the place for you because it's absolutley certain that someone is going to think you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable. No one is sacrosanct -- however, harrassing other members will not be tolerated.

Re: Scott is Innocent

Postby marlene on Wed May 27, 2009 12:10 pm

Hipcheck wrote:
JackIsBack wrote:Really? Amber always had a frown on... and people who are always frowning aren't very good company and aren't very good looking.

Where did and how many times did you see this because I never did?

Hipcheck, I don't recall seeing her smile? except in the nude photos . . .

Can you post some pics of her smiling?

You could say that she just had a serious look on her face, but the way some people form serious looks makes them look like they're frowning.

But, I don't see how Scott could stomach talking to her on the phone after Laci's disappearance - it was all about Amber! It's evident to me that Scott was guilt-ridden over having the affair and guilt-ridden that the affair caused Amber such publicity (although IMO, I think Amber was reveling in the attention), and that's why he stuck it out with her.

If he had been guilt-ridden of killing Laci, I doubt very much that he would have risked talking on the phone to someone that publicly said she was assisting the police.
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Postby JackIsBack on Wed May 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Hipcheck wrote:
JackIsBack wrote:Really? Amber always had a frown on... and people who are always frowning aren't very good company and aren't very good looking.

Really... just Google "Amber Frey" like I did below and have a look... not very many images with any sort of smile, and if she was smiling, it wasn't very big and didn't look very real.

http://images.google.com/images?client= ... =en&tab=wi
JackIsBack

Postby marlene on Wed May 27, 2009 2:39 pm

JackIsBack wrote:
Hipcheck wrote:

Really... just Google "Amber Frey" like I did below and have a look... not very many images with any sort of smile, and if she was smiling, it wasn't very big and didn't look very real.

You are so right, Jack, Amber does not look like a happy woman. But why should she be? After all, every effort at a long-term relationship just goes down the drain -- that's just fact, not being mean. I actually feel sorry for the woman -- this last marriage didn't last either, she couldn't manager her finances well enough to keep her new home, she has kids with different fathers (being single parent is bad enough without having to deal with multiple dads).

I think the psychiatrists who spent so much time analyzing Scott would have put their skills to better use donating their time to help Amber get a grip on life.
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Postby Hipcheck on Wed May 27, 2009 3:00 pm

JackIsBack wrote:Really... just Google "Amber Frey" like I did below and have a look... not very many images with any sort of smile, and if she was smiling, it wasn't very big and didn't look very real.

Most of the pictures of Amber are during the trial and there was nothing to smile about during that period of her life.

I do see some pictures where she is smiling but don't see any where she has a frown on her face.
Hipcheck

Postby marlene on Wed May 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Hipcheck wrote:
JackIsBack wrote:Really... just Google "Amber Frey" like I did below and have a look... not very many images with any sort of smile, and if she was smiling, it wasn't very big and didn't look very real.

Most of the pictures of Amber are during the trial and there was nothing to smile about during that period of her life.

I do see some pictures where she is smiling but don't see any where she has a frown on her face.

why wasn't it a time to be happy? She had a new husband, a new baby, a successful part in bringing a murderer to justice, a book deal on the horizon, and a whole lot of positive limelight.

Now, I would understand your point if she were an unpopular witness giving the public something they didn't want to hear -- but quite the contrary, the public was reveling in the tapes and defending her virtue (tongue in cheek) on talk shows and forums all across America (and some parts of the world). She was a national heroine.

Of course, she didn't get top billing from Distaso, who didn't name her as THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT. But, he's a noboby anyway. ;)
marlene
Site Admin

Postby JackIsBack on Wed May 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Hipcheck wrote:I do see some pictures where she is smiling but don't see any where she has a frown on her face.

Wow... I guess we have a different interoperation of frowning.... but I never thought Amber was pretty and happy and always saw her as frumpy and sad... someone I wouldn't want to be around. Laci on the other hand was always full of life and happy... someone that draws people in.

JackIsBack

Postby Hipcheck on Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm

marlene wrote:Of course, she didn't get top billing from Distaso, who didn't name her as THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT. But, he's a noboby anyway. ;)

You think Distaso is a nobdoy? Isn't Mr. Distaso now a judge? That tells me he is far from being a nobody.

Rick Distaso or should I say Judge Distaso was a excellent prosecutor and I'm sure he is an excellent judge now.
Hipcheck

Postby marlene on Wed May 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Hipcheck wrote:
marlene wrote:Of course, she didn't get top billing from Distaso, who didn't name her as THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT. But, he's a noboby anyway. ;)

You think Distaso is a nobdoy? Isn't Mr. Distaso now a judge? That tells me he is far from being a nobody.

Rick Distaso or should I say Judge Distaso was a excellent prosecutor and I'm sure he is an excellent judge now.

Hipcheck, pay attention to the smileys -- they are there for a purpose.

As far as your assessement of Distaso's prosecutorial skills, we'll see how accurate that is when the CA Supreme Court rules on the appeal.
marlene
Site Admin

Postby jane on Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Hipcheck, did you know that Brocchini is no longer a detective and hasn't been for a few years. He's now a patrol sergeant in the 5th platoon. Can you explain the significance of this? Is it a demotion? Isn't it unusual for detectives to be reassigned to patrol?
jane

Postby JackIsBack on Wed May 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Hipcheck wrote:You think Distaso is a nobdoy? Isn't Mr. Distaso now a judge? That tells me he is far from being a nobody.

Well.... prosecutors have a weird or screwed up point system... they are so worried about their conviction rates and also many of them take any theory the police throw at them and run with it. Many also boast about being so good that they can "even convince a jury that an innocent man did it" and many have even boasted about doing just that.

Just read this interview - I recommend reading the whole article.... source: http://www.reason.com/news/show/125596.html
but a did cut out a copy of more shocking stuff.

interview with District Attorney Craig Watkins wrote:reason magazine: You talk about the mindset of winning convictions at all costs. The legendary law-and-order Dallas prosecutor Henry Wade, who held the job you now hold for many, many years, embodied that philosophy. He’s known to have actually boasted about convicting innocent people—that convincing a jury to put an innocent man in jail proved his prowess as a prosecutor.

Watkins: Oh yeah, it was a badge of honor at the time—to knowingly convict someone that wasn’t guilty. It’s widely known among defense attorneys and prosecutors from that era. We had to come in clean out all the remnants of that older way of thinking.

... ...

reason magazine: What possible arguments could they make against freeing innocent people?

Watkins: Initially, their argument was that it’s not the role of a prosecutor to look for bad convictions—that that’s the role of a defense attorney. But that didn’t work very well for them. And it’s wrong. Both the criminal code of the state of Texas and the American Bar Association’s code clearly state that the job of a prosecutor is to seek justice. That means if a person is guilty, you try to convict him. If he’s not, you don’t. And if you have reason to believe someone has been wrongly convicted, you have a responsibility to fix that.
JackIsBack

PreviousNext

Return to Go on the Record: Is he guilty or innocent?