[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
SII Chat Room • View topic - Scott is Innocent

Scott is Innocent

Please briefly state the reason(s) you think Scott is guilty or innocent, or if you are still on the fence. Other members, DO NOT badger or demean anyone's position on this case. All opinions are valued here. There is plenty of opportunity on the other threads to discuss various opinions and argue against them -- JUST NOT HERE!
Forum rules
No swearing, profanity, or obscene language. If you can't stand to be told you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable, then this is not the place for you because it's absolutley certain that someone is going to think you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable. No one is sacrosanct -- however, harrassing other members will not be tolerated.

Re: Scott is Innocent

Postby Hipcheck on Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 pm

jane wrote:Hipcheck, did you know that Brocchini is no longer a detective and hasn't been for a few years. He's now a patrol sergeant in the 5th platoon. Can you explain the significance of this? Is it a demotion? Isn't it unusual for detectives to be reassigned to patrol?

After the Scott Peterson trial was over it was reported that Det. Al Brocchini received a promotion.
Hipcheck

Postby jane on Wed May 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Hipcheck wrote:
jane wrote:Hipcheck, did you know that Brocchini is no longer a detective and hasn't been for a few years. He's now a patrol sergeant in the 5th platoon. Can you explain the significance of this? Is it a demotion? Isn't it unusual for detectives to be reassigned to patrol?

After the Scott Peterson trial was over it was reported that Det. Al Brocchini received a promotion.

Yes, I know that it was reported that he received a promotion. But was it really a promotion? As a former police officer, IIRC (if I remember correctly), what do you think this really means?
jane

Postby Hipcheck on Wed May 27, 2009 7:40 pm

jane wrote:Yes, I know that it was reported that he received a promotion. But was it really a promotion? As a former police officer, IIRC (if I remember correctly), what do you think this really means?

Where did you get this information that Al Brocchini is now a Sgt. in charge of patrols?
Hipcheck

Postby jane on Wed May 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Hipcheck wrote:
jane wrote:Yes, I know that it was reported that he received a promotion. But was it really a promotion? As a former police officer, IIRC (if I remember correctly), what do you think this really means?

Where did you get this information that Al Brocchini is now a Sgt. in charge of patrols?

This is the link:

http://www.ci.modesto.ca.us/mpd/about/docs/orgchart.pdf
jane

Postby jane on Thu May 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Hipcheck, now that you've seen the link, what do you think? And did you notice that not only Brocchini but Buehler, Owen and Coyle are no longer detectives either. All of them are now Patrol Sergeants.
jane

Postby marlene on Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm

jane wrote:Hipcheck, now that you've seen the link, what do you think? And did you notice that not only Brocchini but Buehler, Owen and Coyle are no longer detectives either. All of them are now Patrol Sergeants.

If Cagney and Lacey was based on reality, then becoming a sgt is always a promotion. Cagney was studying to be a sgt, but Lacey wasn't. IIRC, Cagney did make sgt, but she contined as a detective.

I don't know what the signficance is of being moved to Patrol --
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Postby Lsmith510 on Thu May 28, 2009 6:02 pm

I think you're right Marlene - I think the title of sergeant is what is significant - I think a patrol sergeant would be some type of management position:

Here's a link to the details of the promotions:

http://www.ci.modesto.ca.us/ccl/agenda/ar/2006/10/ar061003-01.pdf
Lsmith510

Postby jane on Thu May 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Lsmith510 wrote:I think you're right Marlene - I think the title of sergeant is what is significant - I think a patrol sergeant would be some type of management position:

When Brocchini and the others were detectives they reported to a Detective Sergeant. Michael Zahr is listed as a Detective Sergeant in late 2002-early 2003. Then he becomes a Captain of the Investigations Division at some point. Al Carter is listed as a Sergeant in the Crimes Against Persons Unit and most if not all of the detectives testified that they were a part of that.

So I guess that Detective is a rank below Sergeant.

And in that respect becoming a Sergeant is a promotion. But is there any significance to their being moved from Investigations to Patrol, or is that the kind of transfer that usually occurs in police departments?
jane

Postby marlene on Thu May 28, 2009 10:26 pm

According to this article, a detective becoming sgt isn't necessarily a promotion, except that a sgt is a management position, but another way to be promoted is to become a detective's supervisor.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4609534_ranks-police-force.html

A detective is on call on a rotation basis, so maybe being sgt of a patrol is a less-demanding job, time-wise.

It does seem strange that the department would "promote" such outstanding :roll: detectives, when there's so much crime to be solved in Modesto. :roll:
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Postby TxGirl461 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am

jane wrote:
Lsmith510 wrote:I think you're right Marlene - I think the title of sergeant is what is significant - I think a patrol sergeant would be some type of management position:

When Brocchini and the others were detectives they reported to a Detective Sergeant. Michael Zahr is listed as a Detective Sergeant in late 2002-early 2003. Then he becomes a Captain of the Investigations Division at some point. Al Carter is listed as a Sergeant in the Crimes Against Persons Unit and most if not all of the detectives testified that they were a part of that.

So I guess that Detective is a rank below Sergeant.

And in that respect becoming a Sergeant is a promotion. But is there any significance to their being moved from Investigations to Patrol, or is that the kind of transfer that usually occurs in police departments?

Detective is not a rank, it's a division of LE. If it works the same way as the Sheriff's Dept. does, they can't be promoted as a detective, they have to work in Patrol to move up to a higher rank. My son was a Sergeant, and had to move to Patrol before he could be promoted to Lieutenant, which he was last year. He is now the ranking officer on his shift, but hopes to go back to CID (Criminal Investigation) in another year.
TxGirl461

PreviousNext

Return to Go on the Record: Is he guilty or innocent?