[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
SII Chat Room • View topic - Media Coverage

Media Coverage

It's what we've all been waiting for -- Scott's brief is expected any day now. In the meantime, comment on what you expect or want to be in the Brief.
Forum rules
No swearing, profanity, or obscene language. If you can't stand to be told you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable, then this is not the place for you because it's absolutley certain that someone is going to think you are wrong or illogical or unreasonable. No one is sacrosanct -- however, harrassing other members will not be tolerated.

Media Coverage

Postby marlene on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Fox News online had Scott as its highlight story.

Inside Scott Peterson's life on California's death row

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/06/in ... z1zrv0RUnr
Fox News Channel San Francisco bureau correspondent Claudia Cowan and producer Mike Lundin recently submitted a list of questions to San Quentin prison on inmate Scott Peterson.

Peterson, who remains on death row for the murder of his wife Laci and unborn child, was a much celebrated suspect and defendant. Initially, after being found guilty, Peterson had pictures of his wife on the walls of his cell and was known in the tabloids as "Scotty Too Hotty" for all the letters he was getting in prison from women around the country. Prison spokesman Samuel Robinson supplied the answers to the questions about the latest on the life of Peterson on death row.

What is his daily routine?
He is allowed 5 hours of out of cell activities, which primarily consist of outside recreational activities (basketball, jogging, walking, and board games). Outside of the outdoor recreational activities, he is confined to his cell where he also consumes his meals.

Who visits him? Are there regular visitors that come on a weekly/monthly basis?
This is privileged information that I cannot disclose.

Is there any interaction (via phone or email) with the Rocha family?
This is privileged information that I cannot disclose. However, I can inform you that inmates do not have access to email.

What's in his cell? Is there anything out of the ordinary in it? Are there photos or mementos? Is there any chance for video or pictures from inside his cell?
There is nothing out of the ordinary in his cell. All inmates housed in California institutions are allowed 6 cubic feet of personal property. This can include legal documents, photos, letters, and items that they are allowed to purchase at the canteen (hygiene and allowable food items)

What is his current prison job and what jobs has he held while in prison?
He has never had a job assignment since his arrival here at San Quentin.

How often, if ever, is he in isolation?
He is single celled, as are all inmates housed on condemned status in the State of California. He has not been disciplined for any egregious behavior during his incarceration at San Quentin.

What is his general demeanor? Does he get along with staff and other prisoners?
He gets along well with other inmates and staff.

Is he subjected to attacks or altercations with other prisoners? How is he treated by other death row inmates?
He has not been involved in any altercations with other inmates and again, he gets along well with other inmates.

Is there a certain group or other prisoners he interacts with on a daily basis?
He is allowed outdoor recreation time with approximately 34 other individuals who are assigned to Condemned Row. They usually participate in the activities listed above.

How often does he meet with his attorney?

There were previous reports that he kept a picture of his slain wife Laci on a wall in his cell. Is that correct and is it still there?

A few years back he was lots of letters from women, earning the nickname “Scotty Too Hotty." Is that still the case?
Not as much as he initially received.

Does he take any classes in prison?
No.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/06/in ... z1zrupLCQm
Attachments
2012-07-06 Fox News online.png
Fox News Online
2012-07-06 Fox News online.png (745.67 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Re: Media Coverage

Postby marlene on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:15 pm

From the ModBee

Scott Peterson's dad says appeal 'a first step'
By Garth Stapley
gstapley@modbee.com

Print
reprint or license
10 Comments
Text Size:
MODESTO -- Scott Peterson’s attorney formally appealed his death sentence Thursday, seeking freedom a day after Independence Day and more than seven years after he was convicted of murdering his pregnant wife and their unborn son.
The filing represents his first step toward leaving death row, his father told The Bee this morning. Laci Peterson’s family said his strategy for speeding up the appeal process could backfire, putting him on a fast track to the death chamber.
Jurors were unduly swayed by massive publicity, Berkeley attorney Cliff Gardner says in the 470-page appeal, even though the 2004 trial was moved from Modesto to Redwood City.

Modesto Bee file, 2004 - Scott Peterson was convicted of murder in the deaths of his wife and unborn son. Several jurors from his trial became captivated with the Casey Anthony case, with some of them taping courtroom coverage to absorb after work.
CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS
PDF: Petterson 427-page appeal
The Peterson Case: A special report
The Peterson case: Moving toward trial
The Peterson case: Preliminary hearing
The Peterson case: Preliminary hearing courtroom sketches
The Peterson case: The memorial
The Peterson case: The arrest
The Peterson case: Family photos
The Peterson case: Laci's disappearance

“It is probably fair to say that there are not many cases in the history of California where the state obtained a guilty verdict and death sentence for murder absent of how, where or when the murder occurred,” Gardner argues.
Laci Peterson was eight months pregnant when she disappeared Christmas Eve 2002. Her husband said he’d been fishing in a newly purchased boat in San Francisco Bay and returned to an empty house.
The badly decomposed bodies of mother and fetus washed ashore four months after and he was tried and convicted in a blockbuster trial stretching most of 2004, arriving on death row in March 2005.
“This (appeal) is a first step toward getting an innocent man out of San Quentin,” his father, Lee, said on the telephone this morning, citing an “astounding lack of evidence.”
Although it’s been several years, the Peterson appeal is considered quick relative to other death penalties cases in California which typically languish more than a decade. His family hired Gardner, an attorney specializing in California Supreme Court appeals, in hopes of freeing Scott Peterson soon.
Ron Grantski, longtime companion of Laci Peterson’s mother, said, “I think he’s crazy. Let him go ahead. Once the appeal’s met, he’s pretty much on the starting line for death, that’s the way I look at it.”
No juror contacted by The Bee many times over the years has second-guessed the unanimous decision, and two reaffirmed that this morning.
“He got probably one of the best juries he could have had,” said Richelle Nice, nicknamed “Strawberry Shortcake” by the media horde because jurors’ identities were kept under wraps until after the trial. “We looked at everything up and down, backward and forward,” she said this morning.
Mike Belmessieri, another juror, said, “We were right to put Scott where he is now. I’ve never felt any different about that, never.
“Here’s the bottom line: he did it,” Belmessieri continued. “God knows each one of us (jurors) has thought about it thousands of times since the trial. He did it, he’s guilty, he’s where he should be right now and he belongs in the death chamber. It’s that simple.”
Pervasive publicity cast Scott Peterson in a negative light, making it impossible to seat a fair panel of jurors even in the Bay Area, Gardner says in documents released late Thursday.
Gardner questions why prosecutors were allowed to introduce “highly prejudicial dog scent evidence” and an expert in movement of bodies in water, while defense attorneys were barred from showing a video casting doubt on the theory of dumping overboard a body without capsizing.
“Mr. Peterson recognizes, of course, that he was not entitled to a perfect trial,” Gardner writes. “But he was still entitled to a fair one.”
Check back later for more updates.
Bee staff writer Garth Stapley can be reached at gstapley@modbee.com or (209) 578-2390.
Dislike
1 person liked this.
Showing 10 comments

sunnygal
What book is coming out??

Like Reply
1 hour ago Report Abuse

HippieGuy
This appeal is based on if Peterson received a fair trail on something that turned out to be an international show trial. Everyone was playing to the news cameras, and trying to promote themselves. This was a show trial. I wish someone would maybe come up with new evidence that would show his innocents. Even if he is the one who did it , the evidence against him is circumstance. No hard stuff to prove his quilt. He keep his mouth shut. That was the best thing he did to save himself. Convicts die of old age sitting on death row waiting for the end to come...it is a joke here...this saga is far from over..

Like Reply
4 hours ago 1 Like Report Abuse

mds01
The vast majority of people who have been shown to have been wrongly convicted were convicted on direct evidence and not circumstantial evidence.

Like Reply
3 hours ago in reply to HippieGuy 2 Likes Report Abuse

tomthebum
this is bull as the new book coming out, this guy is guilt as the sky is blue, why bring all this out for Laci mother to read or see?

Like Reply
4 hours ago 7 Likes Report Abuse

TheMadMason
Sometimes the sky is clouded and gray....

Like Reply
1 hour ago in reply to tomthebum 1 Like Report Abuse

radiance
The appeals process in this country is out of control. We waste more money on trials than necessary. He was guilty and needs to just stay there and pay for his crime.

Like Reply
4 hours ago 7 Likes Report Abuse

Tahoe Gal , The Sierras are the best for getaway vacations.
poor poor Scotty Peterson.. may you rot in prison as you await your final moment of the injection when the pansy state gets busy with those sentenced the death penalty. Such a high profile case as this, the appeals argument is weak. Scotty you can thank your former fling Amber for the walls you sleep in. Lacy didn't deserve the punishment you gave unto her and the life of her unborn; Conner.

Like Reply
5 hours ago 15 Likes Report Abuse

CAE56
And the person who really murdered Laci is living happily somewhere.....who could that be I wonder?

Like Reply
5 hours ago 1 Like Report Abuse

CAE56
And for what good is this?

Like Reply
5 hours ago 1 Like Report Abuse

watchdoc
And the drain on the taxpayers continues

Like Reply
5 hours ago

Read more here: http://www.modbee.com/2012/07/05/227183 ... rylink=cpy
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis
marlene
Site Admin

Postby marlene on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:31 pm

This isn't in response to the brief, but I found it while searching for media reports on the brief. It's a video that features Aphrodite Jones - if you remember, she was the reporter that openly flirted with Geragos, trying to get a scoop. It has so many errors and twisted interpretations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2Y0kDYeNI
marlene
Site Admin

Postby LACurry on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:47 pm

I saw that Modbee article and some of those comments really made me angry. I tried to reply but couldn't because I wasn't registered on the site. Lucky for them :mrgreen:
LACurry

Postby LACurry on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:50 pm

marlene wrote:This isn't in response to the brief, but I found it while searching for media reports on the brief. It's a video that features Aphrodite Jones - if you remember, she was the reporter that openly flirted with Geragos, trying to get a scoop. It has so many errors and twisted interpretations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2Y0kDYeNI

That is one of the media reports that had more fiction than fact. I had looked for it for a long time and it was gone from the Internet....thanks for posting it, Marlene
LACurry

Postby LACurry on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:08 pm

I have had HLN on for a few hours today (gag) and have not heard one word about Scott filing his appeal. No "news" is good news. :D
LACurry

Postby marlene on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:10 pm

LACurry wrote:I have had HLN on for a few hours today (gag) and have not heard one word about Scott filing his appeal. No "news" is good news. :D

Maybe Nancy Grace is on vacation! :lol:
marlene
Site Admin

Postby LACurry on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:51 pm

marlene wrote:
LACurry wrote:I have had HLN on for a few hours today (gag) and have not heard one word about Scott filing his appeal. No "news" is good news. :D

Maybe Nancy Grace is on vacation! :lol:

:D we'll find out in a few minutes
LACurry

Postby LACurry on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:11 am

From what I caught of her show (gag), she said nothing
LACurry

Postby marlene on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:14 am

LACurry wrote:From what I caught of her show (gag), she said nothing

Maybe she doesn't think it's newsworthy anymore, since he's on death row, getting what he deserved. Not like Casey Anthony, who was acquitted by the jury, so Nancy, Greta et al have to exact their own justice.
marlene
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Direct Appeal to the CA Supreme Court